Monday, December 13, 2010

My Time Management Skills Suck More Than Yours

Why am I up at 11pm on a school night, steaming collard greens? Because if I don't, I'll be foraging the vending machine at work for a decent lunch.

I'm tired, dude.
Tomorrow, I'll be posting my first recipe (squee!) - baked, stuffed butternut squash.
If I could bathe in this dish, I probably would. It's quick, cheap, and tastes even better the next day.

Readers (both of you), I have a question. Some background info, and a question.
On Sunday, I went to the FM, and wanted to buy breakfast for the homeless man across the street. I considered and rejected quite a few food choices (no spicy, as he has no private bathroom if it backfires, no nuts, as he might have an allergy, no crepes because they're just not portable, etc...) and I ended up with some clementines and a chocolate muffin.
The chocolate muffin was a safe bet, I figured, because who doesn't like chocolate. And, I know it sounds silly, but I felt good helping him combat scurvy, with the clementines.
I had hoped that he had a banquet under his poncho, that other people were giving him food too, but I don't think that's the case. And so here's what I want to do.
Every time I go into the city, I'd like to take extra food with me to give out to people who need it. I'd rather give them food, than money, and at least then I'd feel like I'm giving back, instead of like a louse.
But what? If you were making quick, cheap, portable food packages to leave the house with, what would you throw in?

2 comments:

  1. Well there are a couple of considerations here:

    1) it should be something easy and portable (like you said). Avoid anything messy.

    2) Avoid anything which requires equipment to eat, like canned foods. Jars are not a bad option, though.


    My suggestions: Sandwiches (because they're easy) fruit (fresh, or in a jar, or those little fruit cups that come with a spork).

    My thought is that, given the weather, if you can bring something warm (like a jar of WARM soup. I would say hot, but you don't want to cause injury. Warm it up, pour it in the jar and deliver it quickly, with a plastic soup spoon?) or a cup of coffee or tea they would really appreciate it.

    While some people will definitely appreciate this gesture, it's worth keeping in mind that there are soup kitchens in the city. Finding out where a few of them are might be useful so you can both hand them the food and tell them where they can easily get more. You know the saying, "If you give a man a fish..."

    ReplyDelete
  2. See, I wouldn't give a man a fish, because fish isn't portable.
    I'm kidding of course. I'm also looking into the soup kitchen idea, I'd like to lend my services. I thought about making trail mix; buying dried cranberries, nuts, etc at Sam's or something, and packing it in bags.
    I like the idea of giving soup out in jars, though.

    ReplyDelete